Completion of our requirements does not guarantee being approved as a substitute. Those of competent and good moral character, holding a teaching license or with experience in teaching will be given preference.
Substitute Teacher Training and Guidelines
- The fee is $39.00 for the initial substitute course. The course is available for 28 days after purchase.
- The course consists of two parts: orientation training (with four quizzes) and Effective Substitute Training (with three quizzes)
- The fee is $19.00 for the required “refresher” substitute course.
- You do not have to complete the training in one sitting. You have the flexibility to work on as much as you want, save and log off, and come back at a later time to work some more. The total time of training is approximately 10 hours.
- Once you pass with a 70% or higher score, print your certificate of successful completion.
- Submit an Online Application for the Substitute Teacher position.
- Have an up-to-date tuberculosis (TB) test completed with results from your doctor or Health Department. Our Physician’s Certificate Form may be used if your health care provider does not have an existing form.
- Read the Substitute Handbook and sign the receipt.
Once all the above is complete, call Kathy McCoun at 804-469-4190 to schedule an appointment and to complete additional required paperwork. Ensure that the following information is completed prior to your appointment.
- Online application submitted
- Certificate of Successful Completion of the substitute training course
- On-boarding Substitute Packet
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card or other valid forms of identity to work in the United States
- TB test results from doctor or Health Department
- Voided check (for payroll purposes)
Dinwiddie County Public Schools will then pay for a background check to be performed and you will be contacted when you are able to start substituting.
Non-Teaching Substitute Roles
Substitute qualifications for positions other than a substitute teacher or paraprofessional require all of the above steps, except the AppGarden training.
Substitute rate information is as follows:
|Teacher (with high school diploma)||$85.00 /day|
|Teacher (with 2 years college)||$85.00 /day|
|Teacher (with 4 year degree)||$90.00 /day|
|Long-Term Teacher (with a 4 year degree)||$150.00 /day|
|Long-Term Teacher (without a 4 year degree)||$142.00 /day|
(Long term rates do not apply for Paraprofessionals)
|$85.00/day (with high school diploma)
$90.00/day (with 4 year degree)
|Clerical 8 Hour Position||$90.00 per day – 8 hours|
|Nurse (LPN or RN) – Daily & Long-Term||$150.00 /day|
|Custodian||$12.00 per hour|
|Bus Driver||$13.00 per hour|
|Bus Aide||$12.00 per hour|
|Cafeteria Worker||$12.00 per hour|