Information Necessary for Pupil Enrollment in Public Schools

(From the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) and Dinwiddie County Public Schools Division Policies)

In order to enroll a child in a public school system in Virginia, state law requires a parent or guardian of a child to provide certain information to the child’s school division. The required information is listed below.

Preschool Applications

Now accepting preschool applications for 2022-2023 school year.

Please click here for more information and the application.

Registration Kindergarten through Twelfth Grade

All parents/legal guardians enrolling students in Dinwiddie County Public Schools (DCPS) need to have the information provided on this page in order to complete the online registration. Kindergarten students must be 5 years old on or before September 30.

Please continue to read this page for the type of information you will need to complete the application. This includes information such as the child’s name, date of birth, address, parent/guardian information , any legal issues (including if a court has awarded you legal parental custody of your child*), immunizations, and other things.


Existing parents and guardians should use your Campus Parent portal app on your phone or your Campus Parent portal link on your computer to register your new child for Dinwiddie County Public Schools (like for kindergarten, etc.).  Go to Menu > More > Online Registration > 22-23 New Student Registration > Start.  Follow prompts.  If you do not finish, you may come back later and click on “Continue”.   When finished, click the red “Submit” button.

If you have any questions, please contact the registrar at your new student’s zone school.

*If a court has awarded you legal parental custody of your child, you must attach a copy of the Custody Order including the visitation rights during the day. 


New parents and guardians, please read all the requirements on this page first and then use the link below to access the online application to register your new student for Dinwiddie County Public Schools. The parent/legal guardian completing the application will initially sign in using their name, birthday, email address, and enter the security code shown (to prove you’re not a robot).  Once you begin the registration, simply complete each section and hit “Next” to continue to the next section.  Once you have completely finish entering all information and uploading your documents, you may Submit your application.


OLR KioskOLR Kiosk YearOLR Kiosk Name

If you have questions regarding this process, please contact the school you are registering your child to attend and ask to speak with the registrar.  We look forward to working with you and your family!

Did you save your application and want to return to it?  Follow the link in your email you received, or click on this link to get to your saved application. You must enter your first name, last name, birthday, your application number, and the “security numbers” shown in the box and click to Begin Registration to continue.

*If a court has awarded you legal parental custody of your child, you must attach a copy of the Custody Order including the visitation rights during the day. 


Checklist/Other Information

Below is a list of information you will need for completing the online registration for enrolling your child in Dinwiddie County Public Schools, including but not limited to:

❑ Photo Identification for the legal parent/guardian registering the child.
Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID.
A Virginia Driver’s License.
Valid U.S. passport ID, U.S. military photo ID or tribal photo ID
❑ Other legal parent’s/guardian’s name, address, phone number(s)
*If a court has awarded you legal parental custody of your child, you must attach a copy of the Custody Order including the visitation rights during the day.
❑ Proof of Legal Guardianship if not the parent (example: foster care paperwork, social services paperwork, notorized kinship care and power of attorney, etc.)
❑ Proof of Residency (see below)
❑ Child’s State-Issues Birth Certificate (see below)
❑ Child’s Physical Health Form – dated within 12 months of school start date and Immunization Record (see below)
❑ Records from Previous School (including, but not limited to):
1. Transcript or Report Card    2. School Withdrawal Form    3. Discipline Report     4. Name and Address of Previous School
Additional Emergency Contacts and their information (up to four others). The parents or legal guardians are considered the first to call in an emergency.
❑ Other household member names, under the age of 5, that is too young to attend school
❑ Health Information for Treatment/Medication (conditions, medications, etc. – see below)
❑ Home Language Information
❑ Birth Location and Date First Entered a Virginia School or US School (if from another country)
❑ Former Student Services Information (Examples include: If your child had at their former school an IEP, 504 Plan, Gifted Program, EL Services, etc.

If unable to provide a physical and an up-to-date immunization record at registration, please note that these documents MUST be submitted prior to the first day of school.

Birth Certificate

An official certified copy of the child’s birth record must be provided (A photocopy of the child’s birth certificate will not meet this requirement.). Information on obtaining a certified copy of a birth certification is available at the Virginia Department of Health website.

At the time of enrollment, the child must be five years of age or reach his/her fifth birthday on or before September 30th of the current school year.

If a certified copy of the child’s birth record cannot be obtained, the person enrolling the child must submit a sworn statement setting forth the child’s age and explaining the inability to present a certified copy of the birth record.

School Entrance Health Form

A School Entrance Health Form, MCH 213G, completed by a licensed physician, licensed nurse practitioner, or licensed physician’s assistant regarding the child, must be presented at the time of enrollment. The three-part form includes Part I-Health Information Form, Part II Certification of Immunization, and Part III-Comprehensive Physical Examination Report. The report must indicate that the child has received a comprehensive physical examination performed within the twelve months prior to the date the child first enters a public kindergarten or elementary school (K-5). The physical examination report must include “Recommendations to School” and other information as required by school division policy.

The health departments of all the counties and cities must provide the physical examination for medically indigent children without charge, upon request.

The Comprehensive Physical Examination is not required of any child if it violates the family’s religious beliefs and the child’s parent or guardian states in writing that the child is free from any communicable or contagious disease and there is no visual evidence of sickness.



Instruction on VDOE Site

Immunizations (updated April 19, 2021)

Documentation (Part II of the School Entrance Health Form MCH 213F) indicating that the child has received the required immunizations must be provided. The required immunizations include:

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, & Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, or Tdap) – A minimum of 4 properly spaced doses. A child must have at least one dose of DTaP or DTP vaccine on or after the fourth birthday. DT (Diphtheria, Tetanus) vaccine is required for children who are medically exempt from the pertussis-containing vaccine (DTaP or DTP). Adult Td is required for children 7 years of age and older who do not meet the minimum requirements for tetanus and diphtheria. Effective A booster dose of the Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade.
  • Haemophilus Influenzae Type b (Hib) – This vaccine is required ONLY for children up to 60 months of age. A primary series consists of either 2 or 3 doses (depending on the manufacturer). However, the child’s current age and not the number of prior doses received govern the number of doses required. Unvaccinated children between the ages of 15 and 60 months are only required to have one dose of vaccine. (Required for PreK and Head Start.)
  • Hepatitis A (HAV) – Effective July 1, 2021, a minimum of 2 doses of Hepatitis A vaccine. The first dose should be administered at age 12 months or older.
  • Hepatitis B Vaccine – A complete series of 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine is required for all children. However, the FDA has approved a 2-dose schedule ONLY for adolescents 11-15 years of age AND ONLY when the Merck Brand (RECOMBIVAX HB) Adult Formulation Hepatitis B Vaccine is used. If the 2-dose schedule is used for adolescents 11-15 years of age it must be clearly documented on the school form.
  • Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV) – Effective July 1, 2021, a complete series of 2 doses of HPV vaccine is required for students entering the 7th grade. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 7th grade. After reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
  • Measles, Mumps, & Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – A minimum of 2 measles, 2 mumps, and 1 rubella. (Most children receive 2 doses of each because the vaccine usually administered is the combination vaccine MMR). First dose must be administered at age 12 months or older. Second dose of vaccine must be administered prior to entering kindergarten but can be administered at any time after the minimum interval between dose 1 and dose 2.
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (MenACWY) – Effective July 1, 2021, a minimum of 2 doses of MenACWY vaccine. The first dose should be administered prior to entering 7th grade. The final dose should be administered prior to entering 12th grade.
  • Pneumococcal (PCV) – This vaccine is required ONLY for children less than 60 months of age. One to four doses, dependent on age at first dose, of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, are required.
  • Polio Vaccine – A minimum of 4 doses of polio vaccine. One dose must be administered on or after the fourth birthday.
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine – All children born on and after January 1, 1997, shall be required to have one dose of chickenpox vaccine administered at age 12 months or older. Effective March 3, 2010, a second dose must be administered prior to entering kindergarten but can be administered at any time after the minimum interval between dose 1 and dose 2.

To assist schools with this effort, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has created a list of frequently asked questions to address any concerns parents or school staff may have.
Please distribute this memo and Attachments A and B to parents of rising kindergarteners, seventh, and twelfth grade students.



Any child whose immunizations are incomplete may be admitted conditionally, if the parent or guardian provides documentation at the time of enrollment, that the child has received at least one dose of the required immunizations and has a written schedule for completing the remaining doses within 90 days.

No certificate of immunization shall be required for the admission to school of any student if (i) the student or his parent submits an affidavit to the admitting official stating that the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the student’s religious tenets or practices; or (ii) the school has written certification from a licensed physician or a local health department that one or more of the required immunizations may be detrimental to the student’s health, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstance that contraindicates immunization.

Proof of Residency

Dinwiddie County Public Schools requires one proof of residency when registering for school. This could be a mortgage statement, lease statement, or county land record showing you own the home/property you are living at.  If the parent/guardian is living with someone else in Dinwiddie County, then a notortized Affidavit: Proof of Residency will be required completed by the parent/guardian and the legal home owner/lessee of with whom you are living.

If a child has no regular, fixed residence but resides within the school division in a temporary shelter, institution, or place not ordinarily used as a residence, the school division may determine that a street address, route number, or post office box number, cannot be provided. The school division may accept an alternative form of address that it considers appropriate. Please speak with the school counselor for more information.


Emergency Health Information

Students with mild to severe health care needs or medical conditions are required to have an Emergency Care Plan (ECP) on file from your child’s physician. The ECP helps assure consistent, safe health care for the student, and provides documentation regarding the extent of services provided. Please have the forms completed and returned to your child’s school, if needed.

Emergency Care Plan Forms

Treatment Authorization Form (PDF)

Medication Authorization Form (PDF)

Please feel free to contact your child’s school registrar with any questions you may have.

We look forward to working with your child and sharing the DCPS family experience!