What is the Special Education Advisory Committee?
The Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC) works with the School Board, administrators, educators and parents of children with disabilities. In Virginia, this committee is mandated for every school district by the regulations governing special education programs for children with disabilities.
2023-2024 Committee Members
- Sharmonique Taylor Burrow: Chair
- Aleisha Manson: Co-Chair
- Cynthia White: Secretary
- Sandra Moore: Teacher Representative
- Jayankedeja Erazo
- Sameka Mallory
- Angela Miller
- Lisa Witt
- LaTonya Worrell
What are the functions of the Special Education Advisory Committee?
- Advise the School Board of unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities
- Assist the school division in the formulation and development of long-range plans designed to provide needed educational services for children with disabilities
- Participate in the development of priorities and strategies for meeting the identified needs of children with disabilities
- Review the school system’s annual updated special education plan and applications for federal funding
- Assist the local school division to enhance community awareness and understanding of special education services
Why should you attend the meetings?
This committee offers a way to get to know other parents, be informed about what is going on in Dinwiddie County Public Schools and work with the school division and make recommendations to determine how special education can meet the needs of children with disabilities. Meetings are open to the public. Public comments can be submitted at meetings or by using the form below.
If you have questions, please call Dr. Robin Pelt, exceptional education instructional specialist, at 804-469-4389 ext 7. All meetings will be held virtually via Google Meet unless otherwise noted.
The Special Education Advisory Committee meetings are held from 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise indicated:
|Business: Getting the Word Out About Special Education Services
|Community Engagement Planning
|Business: Increasing Postsecondary Success for Students with Disabilities
|Business: Successful Transitions from Elementary to Middle and Middle to High
|Business: Special Education Annual Plan / Autism Awareness
|Committee Planning / Teacher Inclusion Awards (in-person)
How do I join the meeting?
Click on this link https://meet.google.com/aqa-qkyh-zcq to join the meeting online.
Or, If you wish to join by phone, call 1-662-506-2329 (use PIN: 926 324 391# ).
Meeting QR Code
Interested in becoming a member of the SEAC?
Please complete the SEAC Membership Application by clicking here. Membership selections are made in April. Click here to join our mailing list for the latest information on special education, webinars, and community events.