DCPS New and Renewal Substitute Training and Information
In Dinwiddie County Public Schools (DCPS) division, the substitute teacher is an integral part of the regular teaching staff. The responsibility of a substitute teacher is to provide continuity to the educational program during the absence of the regular classroom teacher. It is a challenge to be a substitute teacher, to face each day as if it were the first day, to work in up to seven different schools, and to deal with different schedules, personnel, and students. The successful substitute teacher must sincerely like children and be patient, creative, and determined.
Dinwiddie County Public Schools Human Resource Department implemented online substitute training with App-Garden in 2015 . This allows individuals the freedom and flexibility to train at their own schedule to prepare them to substitute for our school division.
Substitutes With Licensure:
If you have taught or student-taught for Dinwiddie County Public Schools and hold a valid teaching license in the state of Virginia, you may call 804-469-4190 and speak with Executive Secretary for Human Resources Deba Whitt to find out what needs to be completed to be added to the substitute list. In addition, if you hold a valid Virginia teaching license, but have not taught for Dinwiddie County Public Schools, please contact Mrs. Whitt or Director of Human Resources Emily Branch at 804-469-4190.
New Substitutes Without a Teacher License:
Otherwise, if you wish to become a substitute for Dinwiddie County Public Schools, please follow the guidelines listed below:
- You must be at least 18 years of age with no criminal background
- Click here for information to The App-Garden University to register and pay for the DCPS Substitute Training Course
- The fee is $39.00 for the initial substitute course. The course is available for 28 days after purchase.
- The course consist of two parts: orientation training (with four quizzes) and Effective Substitute Training (with three quizzes)
- You do not have to complete the training in one sitting. You have the flexibility to work on as much as you want, save and log off, and come back at a later time to work some more. The total time of training is approximately 10 hours.
- Once you pass with a 70% or higher score, print your certificate of successful completion.
- Print off and complete the classified employment application at http://www.dinwiddie.k12.va.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DCPS-Classified-Application-2017.pdf
- Have an up-to-date tuberculosis (TB) test completed with results from your doctor or Health Department showing your results on form our Physician’s Certificate Form.
Once all the above is complete, call Deba Whitt at 804-469-4190 to schedule an appointment to bring the following documents to complete additional required paperwork:
- Completed Application for Employment – Classified Positions
- Certificate of Successful Completion of the substitute training course
- Driver’s License
- Social Security Card or other valid forms of identity to work in the United States
- TB test results from doctor or Health Department
- Voided check (for payroll purposes)
Dinwiddie County Public Schools will then pay for a background check to be performed and you will be contacted when you are able to start substituting.
Returning DCPS Substitutes:
One of the stipulations of your continued employment as a substitute teacher is that you participate in annual training sessions focused on health and safety matters. Below are links where you will be able to satisfy these four training requirements at no cost to you. Please use your legal name to complete the forms and make sure that you click SUBMIT to record your answers. A copy of your responses will be emailed to you upon completion of each training video. They are as follows:
17-18 Substitute Rates
|Teacher (with high school diploma)||$65.00 /day|
|Teacher (with 2 years college)||$65.00 /day|
|Teacher (with 4 year degree)||$70.00 /day|
|Long-Term Teacher (with a 4 year degree)||$150.00 /day|
|Long-Term Teacher (without a 4 year degree)||$142.00 /day|
|Paraprofessional||Same Rate as Teacher|
|School Secretary / Attendance Secretary||$65.00 per day – 8 hours|
|Clerical (all other positions)||Same as Teacher|
|Custodian||$7.50 per hour|
|Bus Driver||$33.89 per day|
|FT Bus Driver||$45.00 per day|
|FT Bus Driver 1/2 day||$33.89 per day|
|Bus Aide||$32.09 per day|
|Cafeteria Worker||$7.90 per hour|
|Richmond Route – Aide||$60.00 per day|
Thank you for your interest in substituting for Dinwiddie County Public Schools.