Class of 2021 Graduation Update
By now many of you have received a letter regarding the tentative plan for graduation. The information below was crucial in the decision-making process:
- Under Governor Northam’s current Executive Order 72, graduations and commencements must implement certain mandatory requirements or the event cannot take place.
- The total number of persons for indoor venues cannot exceed the lesser of 30 percent of the lowest occupancy load on the certificate of occupancy, if applicable, or 500 persons. The total number of persons for outdoor venues cannot exceed the lesser of 30 percent of the lowest occupancy load on the certificate of occupancy, if applicable, or 5,000 persons.
- The official occupancy for the high school field is 2,000 persons; therefore, only 600 persons total could be in attendance for the event. This would not accommodate our 300 graduates to have family members to attend.
- The football field is currently undergoing extensive repairs and is not expected to be completed before graduation.
- The official capacity for the DHS auditorium is 800; therefore, only 240 persons could be in attendance. This would not accommodate all of our 300 graduates.
- Virginia State is only allowing university affiliated activities with the exception of the Virginia Department of Health.
The complete list of mandatory requirements can be found on pages 54-57 of the document at the Governor’s Forward Virginia Guidelines (3/23/21) link. The goal is to provide the Class of 2021 with a safe, optimal experience.
We thank you for your continued patience as we navigate all possible options.