Dinwiddie County Public Schools receive federal funds for our School Wide Title 1 programs which provide additional academic support and learning opportunities to help children master challenging curricula and meet state standards in reading. Needs assessment teams gather information to make data driven decisions related to student performance, ensuring success for all students. Services are coordinated between federal, state, and local funding. Parents have access to school quality profiles which are posted on the website and are a part of each School Wide plan.
A Title I reading intervention program is implemented in four of our five elementary schools. Click on each school to view their School Wide Plan:
- Dinwiddie Elementary School
- Southside Elementary School
- Sunnyside Elementary School
- Sutherland Elementary School
The Title I program provides:
- Staff: Our Literacy Coordinator provides parent, teacher, and community supports in the areas of literacy development, tiered supports, and early reading interventions. Seven full-time reading teachers provide targeted reading interventions for students in defined, assessed areas. Five reading specialists and five math interventionists are employed (locally funded) to provide ongoing professional support to teachers. Our Staff support teachers with implementing effective, small group instruction and using data effectively. Students are taught by certified and endorsed teachers and if for some reason there is not a teacher that meets the requirements in the classroom, parents are notified after four (4) consecutive weeks.
- Resources: Title I funds are used to provide teachers with the resources needed to teach students to be thinkers and problem solvers. Each Title I school utilizes Imagine Learning for prescriptive reading instruction. This resource can be accessed at school as well as at home for consistent reading supports. Each Title I school has a resource room with non-fiction and fiction leveled book sets, read aloud book collections as well as professional books.
- Parent and Family Engagement: Parents are a vital part of the decision making when writing the yearly grant and updating School Wide plans. Parent and Family Engagement workshops are held at both the school and district levels throughout the year. We encourage you to take advantage of these worthwhile opportunities. We recognize a strong connection between the home and the school is a key element to our students’ success. View the Title I Parent and Family Engagement Highlights.
Click on the links below to view the Division Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy, School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plans, and the Title I Literacy Plan:
- Division Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- Dinwiddie Elementary School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plan
- Southside Elementary School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plan
- Sunnyside Elementary School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plan
- Sutherland Elementary School Title I Parent and Family Engagement Plan
- Title I Literacy Plan
Please click the Title I Needs Assessment 2019-2020 Survey to take this short survey. Your input is very important to us, and we greatly appreciate your time.
For more information about the Title I program, please contact: