This is the general announcement for the 2019 Dinwiddie 2019 Strawberry Fields Quizbowl Tournament, which is a high school academic quizbowl tournament, to be hosted at Dinwiddie High School on Saturday, May 11, 2019, from 8:00 AM to about 5:00 PM. Registration check-in runs from 8:00-8:30 AM so teams should please plan to arrive before 8:30 AM. For the majority of teams, rounds should conclude before 5:00 PM.
Location, directions, and parking:
The tournament will take place at Dinwiddie High School, 11501 Boisseau Rd., Dinwiddie, VA 23841. Park anywhere in the main lot in front of the school, but please do not park in the circular drive between the parking lot and front main doors. Buses and cars may drop off teams in front of the main double doors, but then buses should park in the lot.
The tournament will be using the NAQT Small School National Championship question set, which is roughly equivalent to a regular Invitational Series difficulty-wise. Teams that have played at other tournaments using this set are ineligible to participate.
This tournament will serve as a qualifier for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), which will be held May 24-26 in Atlanta.
This tournament will use the tossup/bonus format. A round will consist of 20 tossups with correct tossup answers earning a team bonus for which up to 30 additional points can be earned, usually broken into three related questions each worth 10 points. There will be no math calculation tossups or bonuses, but this does not preclude questions about mathematical concepts. Teams will be seeded to preliminary pools before being reseeded based on record for playoffs. In case of a tie for record, the team with the higher average points per round will be seeded above the other team. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games. Trophies will be awarded to the two top teams and medals to the top five individual scorers.
- Base fee: $70 per team. Teams may not exceed 6 players. If you have additional students who wish to complete, please register another team. There is no limit to the number of teams that can register from one school.
- Buzzer discount: Subtract $5 from your school’s base fee for each fully functional buzzer set that you bring. There is no limit to the number of buzzer systems you can bring. A “fully functional” buzzer system is defined as follows:
- A buzzer system that clearly indicates which player has buzzed
- The control unit and at least 8 activators work, including lights on either or both of the control unit and all 8 activators.
- If the activators plug into a control unit via a cable with modular connectors, such as telephone plugs, tape must be provided in the buzzer box if any latching tabs are broken.
- Staff discount: Subtract $10 per working official from your school’s base fee. Officials may be a coach, parent, student, or other person, as long as he/she has prior knowledge of the game and has received training for the role that will be performed. Each team should provide a team scorekeeper per round to help reconcile the official scorekeeper’s totals. Any person whose team is receiving a staff discount in exchange for service must stay and work through all of the games (except for finals) in order to receive team credit. There is no limit to the number of staffer s you can provide.
- Travel discount: Subtract $10 from your school’s base fee for every 150 miles traveled one-way from your school’s address to Dinwiddie High School, according to Google Maps.
- Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0. You can bring enough buzzers and staffs to eliminate your base fee, but you cannot have a negative fee.
Fill out the Google Form provided at this link. If the link does not work, copy and paste this URL into the browser’s address box: https://goo.gl/forms/gKpvq5mm605HMhzr2. Once you have completed and submitted the form, you will be officially registered and receive a confirmation. Team rosters should be emailed to JMinetree@dcpsnet.org no later than Wednesday, May 8. You will receive periodic updates from me after you have registered.
Method of payment:
All teams must pay by the day of the tournament, May 11, 2019. We prefer to accept payment in person at registration check-in before the tournament starts, but checks may also be mailed ahead of time to: Dinwiddie High School, Attn: Jeanne Minetree, P.O. Box 299, Dinwiddie, VA 23841. Teams that do not pay in full by the day of the tournament will incur a $25 fine and will be given two weeks to pay their total amount.
We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from a school, school division, quizbowl club, or other source. Regrettably, we have no means to process purchase orders, debit/credit cards, Venmo, Paypal, or any other form of payment. Bringing forms of payment other than the three acceptable forms listed above will be considered non-payment and will incur a $25 late fee.
All checks must be made payable to “Dinwiddie High School.” If you require an invoice to procure a school check, you should let me know by April 17, 2019, so that the paperwork can be generated and sent to you in time. If you do not let me know that a preliminary invoice is needed by April 17, and it causes you to arrive at the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.
Teams and roster size:
There may be a maximum of six players on one team’s roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a half-time substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may on only one team’s roster throughout the day; there is no switching from the B Team to the A Team, etc. Teams may play shorthanded, i.e., with fewer than four players.
Dinwiddie High School reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of staff. Adequate space will not be a concern. Right now, the field is set at 24 teams. Teams registering after the field is full will be placed on a waitlist and will enter the field as we expand or as teams drop.
Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. Because Dinwiddie is a rural county, there is not an abundance of restaurants or fast food eateries nearby. The closest (about one mile) is a locally-owned sandwich shop that serves wonderful food for very reasonable prices. A pizza restaurant is 9 miles North, while Hardees, Burger King, Taco Bell and McDonalds are about 12-15 miles North. We will arrange the tournament schedule to allow for a longer lunch time, although teams may still find it easiest to bring their own snacks and lunches with them. I will provide a list of available restaurants in my email updates.
Tournament Director, 2019 Strawberry Fields
Cell (804) 720-2381
Assistant Tournament Director, 2019 Strawberry Fields Tournament
Cell (269) 267-5712
The 13th Annual SVRTC Technology Awards Banquet was held on March 21, 2019 at Longwood University. Ryan Gregory received the Technology Teacher Award for Dinwiddie County Public Schools.
- House opens for seating, and ticket sales start, at 6 PM in front of the auditorium. The cost is $8. Tickets can be bought on the 21st and 22nd.
- The show consists of ten-minute scenes from a variety of shows! There is a 100 person audience maximum for each night due to the preparation.
- Audience members will sign up for either a meat or vegetarian spaghetti dinner dish at the beginning before the show starts (each person will receive a meal ticket, which counts as the cafeteria entrance ticket for the second half of the show).
- The show starts at 6:30 PM; students coming for extra/class credit will be given a special program to get signed by seniors at the end of the show. Those that are late, will not be provided with an extra/class credit program.
- Intermission is ten minutes long, and the audience will move from the auditorium to the cafeteria during this time; meal tickets must be shown for admission into the cafeteria.
- People choose where they sit and put their meal tickets in front of them; students will serve the food during the performance (please no filming)!
- The show should end around 7:30 PM.