Benefits provided by DCPS
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance is offered to all full-time contracted employees with a portion of the premiums paid by DCPS. A new employee must apply for insurance coverage within 30 days from the date of employment. Enrollment outside of this 30 day period is allowed only in the event of a qualifying family status change, or during the Open Enrollment period which is held every year in the spring. Changes made during the Open Enrollment period will have an effective date of October 1st.
- Premiums are deducted from each paycheck one month in advance. Under the Internal Revenue Code, DCPS has adopted a flexible benefits plan. Eligible employees have the option of paying health, dental, and vision premium deductions with tax-free dollars.
- Retirement and Group Life Insurance for full-time contracted employees is provided through the Virginia Retirement System. There are three retirement programs: Plan 1, Plan 2, and the Hybrid Plan. Plan 1 and Plan 2 are defined benefit plans, while the Hybrid Plan combines the features of a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan. Membership in a particular plan is determined primarily by your hire date, but can also be determined by other factors. Employees contribute the mandatory employee share of 5% of their creditable compensation for retirement; DCPS pays the employer share of employees’ creditable compensation, which funds lifetime retirement.
- Life insurance benefits (through Minnesota Life) are paid 100% by DCPS for VRS eligible employees. The benefit is two times employees’ annual salary for natural death and four times annual salary for accidental death. Additional life insurance is available for purchase to increase the employee benefit, or to provide coverage for an employee’s spouse and/or children.
Optional Employee-Paid Benefits
Savings and Income Protection:
- Optional life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance is available through Minnesota Life. This insurance will supplement the basic VRS group life insurance coverage. The plan offers the opportunity to purchase additional insurance at low group rates on the employee and, if desired, family members. New employees have 30 days from their date of employment to apply for optional insurance without having to verify evidence of insurability.
- 403(b) and 457(b) tax sheltered annuities are offered through DCPS and provide all contracted employees the opportunity to set aside money today on a pre-tax basis to build income for retirement. Several providers are approved for payroll-deducted TSA contributions. The School Division does not provide an employer match for these programs.
- In addition, DCPS allows payroll deductions for various types of other coverage, including flexible spending accounts, life insurance, accident insurance, disability insurance, and more through Aflac, American Fidelity, and/or Washington National. Depending on the coverage, the employee’s payroll deduction will be either pre- or post-tax.
Employee Leave Benefits
- Sick Leave – full-time contracted employees are eligible to earn sick leave days at the rate of one per contract month, with no limit on sick leave balances.
- Sick Leave Bank – provides full-time contracted employees with 45 days of additional sick leave (after a 30 day waiting period) in the case of the employee’s prolonged illness. Employees may enroll upon hire, or at the time of issuance of the next contract (a statement of good health from physician must accompany the application when past the 65th day of employment). Enrollment requires an employee to contribute two days of their sick leave. Employees participating in the VRS Hybrid Retirement Plan are not eligible for membership.
- Personal Leave – full-time contracted employees earn two personal leave days each year, cumulative to ten days.
- Family and Medical Leave – provides contracted employees with job and benefit protection under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Employee must have worked for at least one year, and have worked 1,250 hours over the twelve month period prior to the date leave is needed. Employees are entitled to up to 12 work weeks of unpaid leave during any rolling twelve month period measured backward from the date leave would begin.
- Annual Leave – full-time contracted 12 month employees (excluding teachers on extended contracts) are eligible to earn annual leave as follows:
|Years of Service||Total Days Annual Leave Per Year||Annual Leave Earned Per Month|
|1 through 5||12 days||1 day|
|6 through 10||15 days||1.25 days|
|11 through 15||18 days||1.5 days|
|16 or more||21 days||1.75 days|
This handout was designed to provide an overall summary of benefits offered through Dinwiddie County Public Schools. The contents are brief descriptions of benefits. Please see the written plan documents or DCPS employment policies for more information. For questions involving employee benefits, please contact Charles (Chris) Wells, Benefits Coordinator, at (804) 469-4190, or CWells@dcpsnet.org.