The policy that is in place will remain in effect with changes as approved.
The procedure for facilities use approval is as follows:
ALL requesting organizations will submit an Organization Registration Form annually to the principal of the building that you wish to use OR if you wish to use the Historic Southside High School Education Center (former Dinwiddie Middle School) please submit an Organization Registration Form to the School Board Clerk at the Dinwiddie School Board Office.
- The requesting organization will submit a Facility Use Permit and a valid Certificate of Insurance to the Principal or designee in charge of the appropriate facility 30 days prior to requested use date.
- After approval is given by the Principal or designee, the information will be forwarded to the Designee for Facilities Use at the School Board Office. A denial or approval letter will be mailed to the requesting organization. If approved, a fee schedule will be provided.
- All fees for building use must be paid to Dinwiddie County Public Schools and forwarded to the Designee for Facilities Use at the School Board Office five (5) days prior to the event.
- Custodial fees will be billed for, after the event, and will be due immediately upon receipt.
- The requesting organization will submit a Memorandum of Understanding, Authentication, a master schedule, and a valid Certificate of Insurance to the Designee for Facilities Use at the School Board Office.
- After approval is given by the Principal or designee, the schedule will be forwarded to the appropriate facility for review by the Principal or designee in charge of facilities use. Any conflicts should be reported to the School Board Office.
- A denial or approval letter will be sent to the organization. If approval is given, a list of dates and times will accompany the approval letter. Any variance in the schedule must be approved by the Principal or designee of the appropriate location.
- Custodial fees will be billed monthly, if applicable.
The procedure for facilities use payments is as follows:
ALL building use fees must be paid at least five (5) days in advance of the event. The checks should be made out to Dinwiddie County Public Schools and forwarded to the Designee for Facilities Use at the School Board Office.
Custodial Fees will be billed for, after the event, and are due immediately upon receipt. Payments should be forwarded to the Designee for Facilities Use at the School Board Office and made out to Dinwiddie County Public Schools.
GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
Dinwiddie County Public Schools encourages community use of facilities for educational, civic, recreational, and cultural activities.
Regulations governing the use of school facilities have been developed in order to protect the public’s property and to promote the safety of citizens enjoying the use of such facilities. Charges and fees for the use of these facilities are designed not to limit or prohibit use, but to ensure that the expenditures of public money appropriated for classroom instruction are indeed spent for that purpose. Fees collected are to offset any additional costs incurred because of use of the facility.
Use of buildings and grounds after school hours shall be managed by the principal of the school according to policies and regulations of the board. The board may cancel permission to use school buildings and grounds when such action is necessary for the best interest of the school division.
As required by federal laws and regulations, Dinwiddie County Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, handicapping conditions or national origin.
1. General Information
The Principal of the school has administrative authority to schedule the use of school facilities. Non-school use of school facilities must be in compliance with the following stipulations:
- School use takes precedence over all other uses.
- County government use shall take precedence over all other non-school use (i.e. Parks & Recreation).
- Non-school use categories will be reviewed in July of each year. The approved non-school use categories are:
Traditional users are:
Dixie Youth League
Babe Ruth Baseball, Inc.
2. Allowed Activities
Unless specifically approved by the Dinwiddie County School Board, only those activities open to the public will be allowed in the school facilities or on the school campus.
The applicant shall be an officer of the organization which must be headquartered in Dinwiddie County.
Reservations for use of facilities are confirmed only after the Organization Registration Form, Facilities Use Permit application, appropriate insurance certificate and memorandum of understanding have been reviewed and approved by the Principal.
The Organization Registration Form and Facilities Use Permit application must be submitted to the principal 30 days prior to the date(s) for which use is requested. Traditional users who schedule multiple dates must submit those requests by July 1.
The Principal reserves the right to approve or disapprove, at any time, any application for use of facilities within School Board guidelines. Advance payment of fees will be refunded if disapproval of application is necessary.
4. Admission Charges/Fees
Only the organization approved to use the school facilities may charge any admission or fees for admission to the event.
Rental rates will be established annually by the School Board. Rental rates are intended to reimburse the School Board for incremental expenses which would not be incurred if the school were not in use. Rental rates may be modified or waived by the School Board. When a facility rental is charged, the following will apply:
- Not-for-profit organizations which charge admission or fee will be charged at the prevailing rental rate and for custodial services if needed.
- If the admission fees are to support school sponsored activities, the not-for-profit organization will be charged for custodial services if needed.
- Custodial charges will include a minimum thirty minutes before and thirty minutes after the scheduled event. Custodial charges will include sufficient time to prepare the facility for regular school use. Custodial Fees will be billed for, after the event, and are due immediately upon receipt.
- When special lighting and/or the public address system are to be used by the applicant, arrangements must be made in advance. This equipment must be operated by only trained school personnel. Organizations authorized to use the lighting or public address system will be charged for its use. Payment will be made directly to the school, which will arrange payment to the School Board Office. The custodial staff does not perform this service.
- When the lighted athletic field is requested, the details of which areas can be used must be arranged directly with the athletic director. A fee to defray the cost of lighting will be charged.
Current rental rates are as follows:
The following fee schedule applies to any facilities usage. Practices and/or rehearsals require additional fees. Additional fees will also be charged for the services of school officials, custodians, or technicians as required.
Dinwiddie High School
Dinwiddie Middle School
Historic Southside High School Education Center
($85 each add. hr)
(Located in Annex Building)
($85 each add. hr)
|Lighted Athletic Field||$120.00||$120.00||$60.00||$60.00|
|Unlighted Athletic Field||$30.00||$30.00||$30.00||$30.00|
Additional Auditorium Charges:
- Auditorium rental rate is for 3 hours of usage.
Additional hourly charges: Dinwiddie Middle & Historic Southside High School Education Center – $60.00
Elementary Schools – $50.00
- $15.00 per hour for Lighting Technician (required at DMS & DHS, as needed at other schools).
- $15.00 per hour for Sound Technician (required at DMS & DHS, as needed at other schools).
- Custodial Fees will be billed for, after the event, and are due immediately upon receipt.
- $20.00 per hour for Electrician (if needed or requested).
- Security deposit of $100.00 – deducted from final invoice. Any damages incurred to the facility will be charged accordingly to the organization renting the facility.
6. Rental Payment
All payments for rentals, lighting, and/or other technical services are due prior to the event. All Custodial fees are invoiced after each event. Checks should be made payable to Dinwiddie County Public Schools.
7. Priority of Applicant Authorization by Category
- School Groups – Groups of students and faculty/staff recognized at that school only (i.e., Band, Athletic Teams, Choral, School Clubs, etc.)
- School-related Groups – Groups whose primary membership is parents of students at that school, students, and faculty/staff (i.e., Band Boosters, Sports Club, Choral Boosters, PTA, School Council, etc.)
- County Governmental Agencies of the participating localities – (i.e., Public Meetings, Parks & Recreation sponsored activities, etc.)
- Traditional Users – Dinwiddie Youth League, Dixie Youth League, American Legion-Baseball, Babe Ruth Baseball, Inc. (For-profit groups are excluded unless proceeds benefit the school.)
- Civic Groups – Scouts, Lions, Jaycees, Junior Women’s Club, Public Colleges of Major Education, etc.
- Religious Organizations.
- Other Not-for-Profit Groups.
The group to whom the facility is rented shall:
- Have adequate third-party liability coverage, which must be a minimum of one million dollars.
- Be held responsible for the proper conduct of persons in attendance. The responsible on-site party designated on the facility use permit shall be responsible for b, c, and d.
- Be held responsible for the proper care of the facility. Any damages incurred to the facility will be charged accordingly to the organization renting the facility.
- Leave the buildings/grounds free of trash, debris, etc., and in similar conditions to those which existed prior to authorized use. Failure to comply with this provision may be cause for revocation of approval for future dates or denial of requests for future use; and
- Indemnify and save harmless the Dinwiddie County School Board individually and collectively and any officer, agent or employee of said Board against any legal claim of any nature whatsoever which might be made against such board, board member, officer, agent, or employee arising out of, or claimed to have arisen out of, the use of the premises herein mentioned, including reasonable legal expenses which might be incurred by such board, board member, officer, agent or employee in defending any such claims whether such claim be frivolous or otherwise.
9. Occupancy Limitations
Occupancy is limited to the number of persons, seat for seat, which the facility is designed to accommodate and shall be in compliance with the number of occupants as established by the Office of Public Safety.
Tobacco, alcoholic beverages and/or drugs are not to be brought, consumed or used on school property. Possession or use of weapons is also prohibited. Violators will be reported to the proper authorities.
11. Food and Refreshments
Food and refreshments may be sold, served, and consumed only in the dining area of the facility, the concession stand area, or rented grounds area of the school campus. Refreshments must be confined to the above-specified areas. No refreshments are allowed in auditoriums, classrooms, carpeted areas, or gymnasiums.
All Smoking is prohibited.
13. Custodial Services
- Custodial services are limited to opening and closing buildings, doors, and windows; turning lights on and off; contacting Maintenance to adjust heating/AC; emergency clean-up during the event; normal cleaning after the event; maintenance of restrooms during/after the event; and ensuring the school is in the proper condition to open the next school day. Excessive trash around the building will necessitate an additional charge. Custodial Fees will be billed for, after the event, and are due immediately upon receipt.
- Custodial services do not include transporting equipment and/or supplies; arrangement of any special furniture or equipment; or supervision of activities or crowds.
Staging or decorations must be done so as not to deface or damage any property and must be approved by the Principal. All decorations, etc., must meet all building and fire prevention codes of Dinwiddie County.
Organizations authorized to use any area of the school campus will be required to keep the area cleared of trash, litter and debris.
Appropriate shoes are to be worn by persons using the gymnasium floor.
- Facilities and athletic fields are available between 4:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on school nights.
- No facility may be used past midnight.
- Only school sponsored groups may use school facilities for a dance.
18. Studios (dance, music, etc.) located and licensed in Dinwiddie County whose clientele consists primarily of County residents, may prepare for and conduct one recital during the school calendar year subject to the published rental rates.
Recitals must provide a cultural event and be open to the public. Admission charges may be imposed only to cover rental costs and expenses. When the proceeds exceed that amount, they go to a sponsoring not-for-profit agency, organization, or to the school. Studios may not derive profit from the recital.
19. The following procedures shall be followed when any religious organization is applying for rental of a school building for religious services on a continuing basis:
- A new application must be submitted annually. The initial application may be submitted anytime, and all renewal applications must be submitted by July 1.
- A review of the rental agreement will be conducted by school and religious organization personnel annually at the time of re-application. That review will address areas of concern and review the status of the religious organization’s construction plans/progress. Generally permission to use any school facility for regular religious services will be limited to 2 years.
- The usual collection may be taken by religious organizations, but no admission charge or sale of literature will be permitted.
20. Failure of any party to adhere to the rules and regulations of this policy may result in termination of the current rental agreement and future use.
21. Changes and exceptions to these regulations must be approved by the Superintendent or his designee.
Please read and understand all of the above before downloading and submitting the application forms below.